LL.B, GDLP, BSocSc
James O’Donnell, Senior Associate, is a Construction Lawyer and has been with Lovegrove & Cotton for nearly 3 years. James has solid experience in Security of Payment matters in Victoria and Tasmania, and medium dollar litigations in Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania.
James has diverse experience over the construction, planning and building law fields. James consistently delivers favourable results for defendants in prosecution matters before authorities, and provides comprehensive strategies for litigation and sound front-end advice for clients.
James has experience with cross-jurisdictional building and construction disputes throughout Australia, and possesses strong knowledge on advising on Security of Payment matters and disputes. James regularly provides pre-contractual and post-contractual advice to builders, building practitioners and developers.
A high-calibre construction lawyer, James is available for deployment, courtesy of firstname.lastname@example.org.
Areas of Practice
- Cross-jurisdictional work – Supreme Court of NSW, District Court of NSW, NCAT, District Court of Queensland, Supreme Court of Tasmania, Supreme Court of Victoria, County Court of Victoria, Magistrates Court of Victoria, VCAT
- Building Regulatory compliance matters – legal advice and defence of prosecutions before the Victorian Building Authority and Councils
- Domestic Building Disputes
- Commercial Building disputes
- Security for Payment Claims
- Drafting security for payment claims and;
- defending security for payment claims
- James represents sub-contractors and builders in the resolution of security for payment disputes in Melbourne, Sydney and Tasmania
- Planning application appeals in VCAT
- Advice and drafting of Notices of Default and Termination
- Joint Venture Disputes
- Town planning objections
- VCAT – debt recovery, building, construction and planning disputes
- Victorian Building Act 1993 compliance
- Victorian Building Appeals Board matters
- Commercial Disputes
- Advice on the Owners Corporation Act 2006
- Class Actions regarding building defects
- Body corporate dispute resolution
- Strata community dispute resolution
- Advice on Protection Works matters in Victoria
- Resolving fencing disputes
- Law of nuisance claims
- Crane oversail disputes