LL.B, GDLP, BSocSc
James O’Donnell is an Associate with over 18 months experience at Lovegrove & Cotton where he has gained solid experience in Security of Payment matters in Victoria and Tasmania, medium dollar litigations in Victoria, New South Wales and Tasmania.
James has diverse experience over the construction, planning and building fields. James consistently delivers favourable results for defendants in prosecution matters before authorities, and provides comprehensive strategies for litigation and sound front-end advice for clients.
James has experience with cross-jurisdictional building and construction disputes throughout Australia, and possesses strong knowledge on advising on Security of Payment matters and disputes. James regularly provides pre-contractual and post-contractual advice to builders, building practitioners and developers.
Areas of Practice
- Cross-jurisdictional work – District Court of NSW, District Court of Queensland, NCAT, Supreme Court of Tasmania, County Court of Victoria, Magistrates Court of Victoria
- Regulatory compliance matters – legal advice and defence of prosecutions before the Victorian Building Authority and Councils
- Domestic and Commercial building disputes
- Advice and litigation on Building and Construction Industry Security of Payment Act matters
- Planning application appeals in VCAT
- Advice and drafting of Notices of Default and Termination
- Joint Venture Disputes
- Town planning objections
- VCAT – debt recovery, building, construction and planning disputes
- Building Act 1993 compliance
- Building Appeals Board matters
- Commercial Disputes
- Advice on the Owners Corporation Act 2006
- Advice on Protection Works matters in Victoria
- Law of nuisance claims