Building Regulatory Compliance
Building Regulatory Compliance Legal Expertise
Lovegrove and Cotton for many years have helped property owners, strata communities and builders resolve:
- Victorian Building Act 1993
- NSW Environmental, Planning and Assessment Act 1979
This expertise involves providing advice on responding to:
- building notices
- building orders
- emergency orders
Our philosophy is to work with local government and the statutory authorities to assist the client regularise their affairs to culminate in the lifting of building notices and orders once the municipal authority is satisfied that matters of non-compliance are brought into line.
In recent years, we have helped a large number of property owners and body corporate communities respond to and regularise cladding notices and orders. Some of these matters have found their way to the Building Appeals Board Victoria where we have facilitated sound outcomes on behalf of property owners and strata communities.
Sometimes councils chose to prosecute property owners and building practitioners for non-compliance of building regulations, and we provide legal representation for respondents. One of our senior lawyers used to be a prosecutor and is co-author of the publication “disciplinary hearings and advocacy” so we have a high level of expertise in this complicated area.
Justin Cotton and professor Kim Lovegrove collectively have over four decades’ worth of experience in regulatory compliance matters. Our practice manager Tsigereda Lovegrove also represents clients in responding to building notices, orders and EPA matters.
For articles that shed light on our expertise and that provide some guidance in this complicated domain, click the links below:
- What are building notices and building orders in Victoria?
- Building notices and orders: the regularisation of non-compliant building work in Victoria
- Responding to building notices and building orders under the Building Act 1993
- Responding to Building Orders under the Building Act 1993
- Appealing Cladding Related Building Notices Under the Building Act 1993 (Vic)
- How to Respond to a Building Order Issued by a Building Surveyor
- Building Notices and Orders: The Regularisation of Non-Compliant Building Work in Victoria